Photos 16-17: Category 12: Organisms on different levels of the same food chain
This is the continuation of my food chain category of photos.
16. Fishy!
This sunfish is the next in line for the food chain I am creating. This sunfish will eat the ant, although ants are not a main part of a sunfish's diet, ants are eaten when possible, in order for the sunfish to absorb energy from it. This sunfish would be considered a secondary consumer as it would eat the primary consumer, the ant. (No fish were harmed in the acquisition of this photo...although a worm may have perished...let us now have a moment of silence)
17. Connor
This is a rare specimen of photographic documentation of the elusive Connor. He is a human and is next on my food chain. Connor will eat the fish, which ate the ant, which ate the grass, in order to gain energy. This makes him a tertiary consumer and the highest point on my food chain. He is also very hungry.
(And I am just realizing I probably did not need to include my thumb in this picture...)
Photo 18: #15 - Bilateral Symmetry
I was looking through the packet and this caterpillar fell onto my paper. I was an interesting surprise but I just decided to use it in my project, as it seemed so keen on being included. This caterpillar is an example of bilateral symmetry, or the the body of an organism can be cut in half and have to symmetrical pieces. You can see that if you cut the caterpillar down the middle you will have two similar halves.
Photo 19: #29 - Ectotherm
This turtle nestled in the leaves is an example of an ectotherm. Ectotherms do not control their body temperature internally, rather, they adjust it to their surrounding environment. I found this turtle sitting in the sun on the log so we can say it was warming its body by sunning itself.
Photo 20: #77 - Population
This photo is of a bunch of ducks at the lake. These ducks are supposed to represent the population of ducks, or the number of organisms of the same species living in a habitat, of the lake. There were a bunch more but they all flew away before I could snap the picture.





1 comment:
Tell that tertiary comsumer I said "hello!" :)
Good work!
Post a Comment