7. Anther and Filament of the Stamen
Although this is the same hermaphroditic species of plant that I cross-sectioned when documenting the stigma and style, this photo emphasizes the anther and filament, which are the male reproductive parts that nearly surround the stigma and style. There are about 5 of them. The whole thing is called the stamen, and the filament is the stalk with the anther at its tip. Each anther has four microsporangia, which eventually undergo meiosis creating haploid spores, which then divide via mitosis into pollen grains. The anther releases the pollen and it eventually makes its way into a filament, whether it be by mere wind or a wasp.
25. Connective Tissue
The photo above is of an ear, my ear. But what you probably think is also my ear, the external appendage, is actually called the pinna, though it is very important to our hearing. The upper outer ridge of it consists mainly of cartilage, which is connective tissue.
33. Epithelial Tissue
The photograph above is a close up of my knuckle. I did this to emphasize the patterns formed by the wrinkles to give you a sense of how complex such an organ as the epidermis (skin) is. Imagine how long such a genetic code would be of even just a hand.
49. Heterotroph
The photo above was taken when I was David-Attenbouroughing about in Rollinsford, NH. A heterotroph is an organism that derives its growth and nutrition from complex organic carbon instead of taking in carbon dioxide as plants and algae do.
78. Predation
At first when caught this scumbag in such an elegant way as to not even splat an blood, I thought it was meant to be and thought how I could use it as 72. Parasitism, but then after doing more research I found that a parasite has to nearly live inside its host and whatnot. But after counting my losses I realized I could use it as predation! Although this guy lost in the end of this WWE match between man and nature, she (since only the females bite) tried to make me her prey by sucking my blood, therefore making this a perfect example of predation.
1 comment:
Nicely done! David Attenborough, move aside...here comes Andrew! :)
Post a Comment